18 Elul 5775
by Anthoney Rosales
- Tuesday August 11th 2015 7:30 pm Mom calls, I missed the call because I was taking care of Mia and did not hear the phone. At 8:31 pm Mom sends me the following Text: Just wanted to let you know that grandpa Rosales is in the hospital for an infection and low oxygen levels. He is going to Palomar hospital in Escondido.
- Wednesday August 12th 2015 Grandpa is in the hospital receiving heavy doses of antibiotics through an IV to treat “Pneumonia” . Oxygen levels better but breathing still labored.
- Thursday August 13th 2015 2:20 am Doctor calls uncle Jorge and asks him to give a verbal DNR and she strongly advises against intubating due to grandpa’s “dementia” and “fragile” condition. Uncle decides he can’t make this decision on his own and under duress. No decision made. 11:00 am Grandpa’s breathing is very labored and oxygen levels are dangerously low. Doctor on duty orders intubation. Antibiotics do not seem to be working. Doctor believes grandpa’s lungs are failing due to his COPD. Doctor asks again for a DNR to be signed. Again no action is taken.
- Friday August 14th 2015 7:00 am grandpa is taken off the ventilator and was able to breathe on his own for 15 minutes. Doctor said grandpa needs to be able to breathe on his own for 3 hours to show any significant improvement.
- Saturday August 15th 2015 7:00 am grandpa is taken off the ventilator and was only able to breathe for 5 minutes on his own. Doctor is not hopeful.
- Sunday August 16th 2015 7:00 am grandpa is taken off the ventilator and was only able to breathe for 5 minutes on his own. Doctor still not hopeful and asks again for a signed DNR. Again no action taken.
- Monday August 17th 2015 7:00 am grandpa is taken off the ventilator and was able to breath on his own for 1 hour, then 2 hours! At 9:30 am doctor orders tube to be taken out of grandpa’s throat. Breathing on his own continues. Grandpa is in good spirits and seems to be unfazed. Doctor is amazed and we are all beyond Amazed! Doctor acknowledged that we needed a miracle and for now we got that miracle. Life is fragile, every breath we take is a miracle. Do not take the things that seem “simple” for granted.
May the year 5776 be a happy and healthy year for all of us!